
Note: Clever post title is ripped from a friend. I'll post the complete Ode if I ever find it.
Caution: If you thought I was hip and trendy having a family blog, that will all disappear when you read this dorky post about our holly tree. Of course, if you thought I was hip and trendy...well....
Ok - here is the scoop. At the front corner of our house is a large holly tree. A giant, prickly monster on a good day. It had been at least two years since it was last trimmed so the giant prickly monster had started to grow long tendrils reaching up to the sky and out into the lawn. It looked bad, and made mowing hazardous. So, the time came to trim it. Technically, the time came and went to trim it, but trimming and then cleaning up afterwards never made it to the top of our to-do list. But, this weekend I found myself with some time while Wayne took the Christmas lights off the roof and the kids played Star Wars in the minivan, so out came the hedger. After Wayne finished with the lights he offered some much needed design consultation and did the scarier trimming from the top and low and behold we stepped back and our ugly duckling had become a swan! Sculptors often say that they don't carve a figure into stone, they release the figure already inside it. Little did we know that our holly tree had an inner q-tip just waiting to emerge. Our neighbor came home while we were working and was astounded. She had lived in our house before and wrestled with the same tree and could not believe her eyes. I personally, am so tickled I had to blog about it.
Our one problem was that our trimmer couldn't get through a thick branch on the top, which I don't think you can see in the photo. We put off dealing with that until we could borrow a larger trimmer, but now I'm reluctant to take it off because recently a sparrow has taken to perching on the top of it and singing its little heart out.
No comments:
Post a Comment