This might not get me in the top ten list - but I certainly hope that this gets me at least an honorable mention....warning - not for the squeamish...
Last weekend was beautiful....mid seventies, not a cloud in they sky. We opened up the house to the breeze and spent the day frolicking in the backyard. At one point I came in the house followed by Spencer the cat, who proceeded to vomit on the kitchen floor. This happens a lot when he is outside nibbling on grass, so while I wasn't thrilled, I wasn't shocked either. As I grabbed some paper towels to clean up he wandered into the living room and started gearing up to vomit again. I chased after him in order to try to prevent him from yacking on the carpet only to see, to my horror, that he had positioned himself right over Peter's most prized Pokemon cards. Peter had spread them out on the floor to show Abby and hadn't put them away, and now they were right in the splash zone! My plan to save the carpet was to try to slide the paper towels into the trajectory, knowing full well that that would only handle the...um....solids....but that plan wouldn't work for the cards because if they got at all wet it would be a tragedy of epic proportions. If it had been one of his many Seedots (20 HP) or Bulbasaurs (40HP) it would have been bad enough, but ruining his sparkley Lugia EX (140 HP) or his Tyranataur (110 HP) would have been one of those childhood events that ruins a summer and creates flashbacks in middle age. So, I did the only thing I could - I threw myself towards Spencer screaming NoooooOoooooo and grabbed him under his front legs and tilted him a little to the left while covering his mouth with my hand - luckily the hand holding the paper towels. Just in time....the cards were saved! The carpet too! I spent the next half hour washing my hands, and the half an hour after that hounding Peter to pickup his cards! If catching cat vomit in your hand to save Pokemon doesn't qualify for 'above and beyond the call of duty'....I'm not sure what does.
Before you feel too bad for Spencer in all this, you should know that he had to go quite a distant to get to the cards...there was plenty of open carpet all around him that could have done quite nicely...there was even a small stack of sales ads significantly closer to the kitchen. I am led to believe that while he probably didn't choose to get sick, I believe he DID choose the location and the timing of feeling better.
No comments:
Post a Comment