Abby's Birthday started at the crack of dawn. She was so hyper and excited about being 6 she was on cloud nine...to the point of saying "I don't care if you do something to spoil my birthday today, I'm just happy to be six." (um...yeah...)
She and Wayne headed out for their normal Saturday morning grocery date. Peter and I dashed off to Target to get some last minute things (why don't I ever have tape?) and then dashed home to decorate Abby's chair, wrap presents and do some decorating before she and Wayne got home. Peter was very into doing things to make Abby happy (Peter: "I mean, really, she's, like, the best sister ever) and was a great helper.
When Abby and Wayne got home she spotted the decorations and then got really shy about her birthday, purposefully avoiding the kitchen where the presents were. She and I played outside until lunch (last year it snowed on her birthday, this year it was 72 degrees!) and then after lunch she opened her presents and all her squeaky hyperness returned. We played with her new toys, took a bike ride around the block, played with her new toys some more and then played some more with her new toys. By the time dinner rolled around she was exhausted (and so was I) but we had a great time...it has been a long time since I've just played with the kids without jumping up and running laundry or piddling around with other "Mom stuff". That was my extra gift to her (and me!)
We went to dinner at Olive Garden for Abby's favorite "Spagetti with one Giant Meatball"...spagetti isn't Peter's favorite, so his extra give to her was a great attitude about her dinner choice! After dinner we came home for dessert - FONDUE! - Abby had seen something, somewhere about dipping fruit in chocolate and that struck her as something cool so that is what she asked for. It was a lot of fun, the kids pitched in cleaning and cutting the fruit, angel food cake and marshmellows while Wayne got the chocolate heating...it was really tasty and fun and was a nice mellow way to round out the day.
I'll post pictures soon...
3 comments:
What a great birthday !!! Fondue - well, that is her Neena coming out. I'd rather have that then cake any day.
My mouth is watering over the fondue. The kids and I sometimes cheat, and instead of making real fondue, heat up a jar of chocolate Betty Crocker frosting in the microwave, and use toothpicks to poke little marshmallows and dip it. It only takes about two minutes to make it and set it out...and squashes the fondue craving without all the work. :) Abby's birthday sounded just perfect! What a wonderful day!
Great birthday Abby....what a wonderful day you had. Great food choices.
Happy Birthday to my wonderful and beautiful great niece!!
Love you,
Aunt PattyAnn
Post a Comment