Don't get me wrong - I love Little People and I've enjoyed many, many, MANY hours playing Little People with the kids. Little People go to school, Little People go to the farm, Little People join the circus. In fact, Wayne and I have both exerted 'the little grey cells' trying to come up with new and interesting situations for those Little People. And I can't count the number of times we've lost and found that Little Baby. It is just that we have a LOT of Little People. We've donated most of the buildings to their daycare (have the house and barn in the attic for when the grandkids come to play...can you believe that, I've hit the point in my life when I'm saving toys for my hypothetical grandkids!) but we still have all the actual Little People, including the Sonja Lee Triplets and the Maggie Twins all of whom work at McDs (Happy Meals....nuff said). And playing with them has changed. It used to be that Wayne and I were the center, setting up the stories, doing the voices, making the kids laugh. Somewhere along the way the kids stopped needing us to do that. You'd think that would be a relief (and mostly it is...I used to pretend to go to the bathroom or turn the laundry over just so that I could take a break from the infinite loop of the stories) but now when I do have a chance to sit down and play with them, I'm just the audience. I might hold Eddie or the Rabbit, but Abby now claims both the Mom and the Baby. She sets the stage, directs the action and does 99% of the voices. When I interject, I often get scowled at for interrupting the arc, or get a half laugh before she returns to the good stuff. If Peter plays with us it is usually with a Star Wars Lego Guy who is stealthily making his way around the edge and is NEVER, EVER seen by any of the Little People (or their animals). So...when I see the Little People set up in a long line across the living room floor it is bitter sweet.
Oh...in case you are wondering, the race turned out to be a tie. Not surprising, in Little People Land there are no winners or losers, all the races end up being ties.
2 comments:
Ok...so our lives tend to run pretty much the same (since are kids are at such similar ages) and so I feel like every time that I comment I always say, "My kids are doing that same thing!"...but I swear, they really are. Ha! We have those same little people! I just packed them all up in a bin and put them up in the attic about six months ago...but I was up there going through a few things to give to Devin and came across the bus and found myself thinking how much the kids would probably play with them still if I brought them all back down. Ha! I'm so bad! Jake is absolutely insane for Star Wars, and Indiana Jones Legos, and whenever he plays anything with Reese (even Webkinz) I always hear him say, "pretend that your animals don't see me"...so I had to laugh at what Peter is doing. Eerily similar to what we've got going on here. :)
I suppose that should have read, "since our kids..." not "since are kids...". :)
Post a Comment