First off, I want to apologize for how long it has taken to post about Wayne's marathon! It was such an amazing, fantastic and inspirational event that it is really terrible that it has been two months without pictures or stories! I've got almost 60 pictures to post so I'm going to try to break the recap into smaller chunks - my own mini-marathon (Minnie Marathon?).
I'm going to skip the gory details of our awful trip down and summarize with two points 1) Airtran: NEVER AGAIN and 2) Got in much, much, much later than we should have. Because of that our plan to spend a leisurely morning at Epcot, have a nice carbo load lunch in Italy and meander over to the Wide World of Sports to pick up Wayne's packet was a bit more hectic than we'd hoped. Even worse it was bitterly cold, so cold that we ended up buying the kids wool coverups in Mexico to wear over their coats in order to make it to Italy for lunch. Peter looked like a Rasta Dude the whole weekend.
After our lunch in Italy we made our way over to WWS center, which I'd never been to, for packet pickup. Our friends Tim and Tammy Heslin and their sons were already there picking up Tim's packet. The entire pick up procedure seemed really well organized. Wayne picked up his initial packet and tested his time chip in one section and then we crossed over to the expo hall to pick up his T-shirt and other goodies. That was slick on Disney's part because it pretty well ensured that you had to go through the sponsor's booths!
While we waited for Wayne to pick up his stuff the kids added their notes to the big marathon sign set up (one of the sponsors was Sharpee). I'm not sure Wayne actually saw these love notes. In another section they made placards for the race day. Wayne has these hung up in the workout room now, which makes me smile every time I see them.
We had a hard time finding the Heslin's because our phone pooped out. And I had a hard time capturing the excitement because I didn't notice the camera wasn't on the point and click setting until too late so most of my shots are fuzzy. Boo.
After we caught up with the Heslins we went to dinner at Olive Garden with what seemed like about 10,000 other marathoners. While it was long - it was fun. In addition to catching up with the Heslins we also met a lot of other folks in from the marathon, and everyone was down right giddy with excitement.
Not sure how Wayne managed to get to sleep that night! And certainly don't know how he got up so early to make it to the marathon staging point in time for race start...
1 comment:
So glad you are getting the marathon day posted. I'm so freakin' proud of my brother-in-law. Once upon a time I thought I'd run marathons because I really enjoyed running...once upon a time. Now? Not so much. Between the whole couch potato thing and the can't-run-with-your-legs-crossed thing...pretty much condemns me to the cheering section!
Post a Comment