Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The tragic tale of three little appleheads.-- a cautionary tale

Early in September the kids and I carved faces into four apples and then put them into the closet to dry. Over time the apples dried out and the faces became more and more craggy...perfect to make little witches for our Halloween display. One apple fell over while it was drying and got all moldy and disgusting, so it went in the trash, but the other three were perfect. I couldn't wait to show them off...and so I didn't wait...I didn't glue them onto cloth covered bottles to give them bodies, I didn't glue moss on their heads for hair...and I didn't spray them with a top clear coat to keep them safe. Instead I stuck them on sticks and artfully arranged them in some leaves for a 'clever' photo or two....then when it started to rain I dashed inside to put away the camera and forgot about them...FORGOT! Sigh. Then next morning when I was leaving for school I noticed that there were no little heads in the leaves....in fact there was only 1 little empty stick...3 yards away was another stick...and about the same distance another stick with a half eaten apple head on top. Sigh...six weeks to make and because I couldn't wait another 45 minutes to do the job right they were nothing but fancy kabobs for the squirrels. Boo...

From October252008

2 comments:

Kerry and Steve said...

I've never seen this done, but it's really cool...sorry about the squirrels. ;)

Anonymous said...

Love your blog....great job on the apples!!